Tuesday, August 24, 2010

B is for Barcelona Pavilion


My first semester at the University of Arkansas, I was still an English major.  An English/Creative Writing major, to be specific, so I was taking the first course in my major sequence and a bunch of Gen Eds, and spending a lot of time goofing off on campus waiting for the Boyfriend-who-would-become-the Husband to get out of studio.

More often than not, I'd find him in the Fine Arts Library encircled by a stack of books and magazines. One afternoon I found this issue of PA on top of the stack. Always a fan of modern design, I was captivated by the elegance of the columns, the grace of the colors, the integration of the views and the viewed object.

That one moment catapulted me into architecture school. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow.

    PS. I love that too. Will you design my dream home for me? (when I win the lottery)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, the turning points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these were actually the first colour photos published of it ... the reconstructed version, anyway. blew me away.

    Mali, I'd love to. when you win the lottery. so I can move to the site for the whole time! ;)

    ReplyDelete